Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer
Following list demonstrates the advantages of computers in today's arena.
- Computer is a very fast device.
- It is capable of performing calculation of very large amount of data.
- The computer has units of speed in microsecond, nanosecond, and even the picosecond.
- It can perform millions of calculations in a few seconds as compared to man who will spend many months for doing the same task.
- In addition to being very fast, computers are very accurate.
- The calculations are 100% error free.
- Computers perform all jobs with 100% accuracy provided that correct input has been given.
- Memory is a very important characteristic of computers.
- A computer has much more storage capacity than human beings.
- It can store large amount of data.
- It can store any type of data such as images, videos, text, audio and many others.
- Unlike human beings, a computer is free from monotony, tiredness and lack of concentration.
- It can work continuously without any error and boredom.
- It can do repeated work with same speed and accuracy.
- A computer is a very versatile machine.
- A computer is very flexible in performing the jobs to be done.
- This machine can be used to solve the problems related to various fields.
- At one instance, it may be solving a complex scientific problem and the very next moment it may be playing a card game.
- A computer is a reliable machine.
- Modern electronic components have long lives.
- Computers are designed to make maintenance easy.
- Computer is an automatic machine.
- Automation means ability to perform the given task automatically.
- Once a program is given to computer i.e., stored in computer memory, the program and instruction can control the program execution without human interaction.
Reduction in Paper Work
- The use of computers for data processing in an organization leads to reduction in paper work and results in speeding up a process.
- As data in electronic files can be retrieved as and when required, the problem of maintenance of large number of paper files gets reduced.
Reduction in Cost
- Though the initial investment for installing a computer is high but it substantially reduces the cost of each of its transaction.
Following list demonstrates the disadvantages of computers in today's arena
- A computer is a machine that has no intelligence to perform any task.
- Each instruction has to be given to computer.
- A computer cannot take any decision on its own.
- It functions as per a user’s instruction, so it is fully dependent on human being
- The operating environment of computer should be dust free and suitable.
- Computers have no feelings or emotions.
- It cannot make judgement based on feeling, taste, experience, and knowledge unlike a human being.
Codechief is a very fast growing community among programmers and have a reach of around 1 million+ readers globally. Contribution at Codechief is open for all those who have a passion to learn and help others by sharing their knowledge. If you think you have the zeal to learn, start contributing on Codechief contribute. you can also mail your article to [email protected] See your article appearing on the codechief main page and help other code.
We believe that everyone has the right to learn, so we allow both students and professionals to contribute on Codechief.Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Was this article helpful?